07 June 2008

All I can do is keep breathing.

The storm is coming but I don't mind.
People are dying, I close my blinds.

All that i know is I'm breathing now.

I want to change the world...instead I sleep.
I want to believe in more than you and me.

But all that I know is I'm breathing.
All i can do is keep breathing.
All we can do is keep breathing now.

All that I know is I'm breathing.
All I can do is keep breathing.
All we can do is keep breathing now.

All we can do is keep breathing
All we can do is keep breathing
All we can do is keep breathing

All we can do is keep breathing.
All we can do is keep breathing now.


Keep Breathing
by Ingrid Michaelson


This is how I feel right now about life. There is so much going on around me, so many demands, so many heartaches to tend, so many needy hands, so many deadlines, so many obligations. Sometimes this world chokes me.


Can I just breathe? Can I please just breathe?

There's so much I want out of life, but I feel that if I were to get them I would sacrifice my life.

I want to teach, but first I must be a slave to the system that allows me to, and in doing so have the life (quantifiable, in years) and life (in spirit, desire, fervor) sucked out of me.

I want to write. That takes time, effort, and determination. Translation: I have to choose not to waste time on other things, also meaning I have to break habits that I've had for years.

The most evil of all conundrums: I want to make money so I can actually have some savings, but I need to be in school. I want to do really well in school, but it is difficult for me to do when I work, even at only part-time.

I want to care about the world around me, a world that is hurting and needs a savior. But I keep my head down, avoid eye-contact, and hurry on with my rushed day. A rushed day that doesn't necessarily produce any fruit, but I feel "good" knowing that I didn't "waste" any time.

Jesus, I want nothing more than to wake up tomorrow morning and breathe. If I must stay here on this Earth, just let me breathe. I have no objections to being taken away right now, but if I must stay, please just let me breathe. In... and out. In... and out. In... and out.

I just need to breathe.

0 comments: