07 November 2007

My Three Bibles: The Holy Trinity


Just the other day I was carrying three things, and I realized they define my life to a T.

The Father: In Style Magazine. What dictates me the most? What am I consumed with at all times? Where do I find my security? Image. What makes the world go round, Father? Tell me eternal truths, such as What's Hot Now. Tell me the stories of the ages, such as the evolution of Jennifer Lopez's wardrobe, or the latest stories of Britney's divorce.

The Son: Date Book. What should I do? How should I live? What should I consult for every decision? What will serve for me as model of how to do things? The End All? O holy Date Book, allow me to live like you.

The Spirit, the oft ignored and neglected member of the Trinity: Holy Bible. (The real one.) Do I ever think of it? No, but I always have it with me. I consult it, occasionally, but mostly wonder if it's even that useful. In fact, I ignore its ever-present influence in my life. Sure, verbally I will admit that it is my driving force, but in practice it is not.

Am I alone in this? I don't think so. But still, I need to reexamine my priorities and redefine my trinitarian lifestyle.

0 comments: