17 October 2007

Where Has All the Money Gone?

I used to get so mad at my mom. Every time she made chicken or spaghetti for dinner, I would ask her why we were having it for the thirtieth time that week.

"You'll understand when you have five hungry kids to feed."

But I never listened. I was too consumed in voice lessons, flute lessons, buying dresses and accessories for the next dance, going to movies, driving around town with expensive gasoline, buying myself sin in a cup from Starbucks, traveling around the United States and the world, or living in another state pursuing higher education. All with my parents' dollar.

Now, 19 years old and one year out of the house, I see it as a huge hurdle to go from one paycheck to the next. Learning to say no to a drink and a pastry from the cafe. Learning to pay debts in a timely manner, or not have them at all. Learning to decipher between need and want. I want to buy new shoes. I need to be saving money now for my trip to D.C. in March. I want to eat out. I need to take good care of my body. I want to spend my paycheck until it's gone. I need to keep money saved, because emergencies happen. (Like a $55 locksmithing when locked out of a car and in a pinch to get to Seattle....)

Now, 19 years old and one year out of the house, I'm not so picky with the food I have. I have enough. I have enough to sustain me through the day. I have enough to keep me healthy. And spaghetti is gratefully accepted.

0 comments: